On a completely unrelated note I would like to point something out that people who have known me for a long time and haven't seen my writing will be confused about: my use of the Oxford comma. I used to hate the Oxford comma. With a passion. Isn't that how the debate over the Oxford comma goes? It's like with PC's and Macs. There are no people in the middle of the road. Just a sharp division with strong proponents on either side. I used to come down on the side against. Now I'm for. How is this possible you ask? I'll tell you. I read a book called Eats, Shoots, and Leaves which gets its title from the punch line of a joke about a panda bear. The author, Lynne Truss made such a convincing argument for the Oxford comma that she actually changed my mind. I have been for it ever since. For those of you who have no idea what this whole paragraph has been about, the Oxford comma is the comma before the "and" at the end of a list. Red, green, yellow(,) and blue. Like that. I have been convinced that it actually does clarify meaning and aid in communication, which is the purpose of language and therefore punctuation. Hence my stance. This has been a message from Ben's Soapbox of Idiosyncracy, thank you for reading.
Friday, April 22, 2011
Finals Are Over!!
So this past week has been the magical time of getting things for free! I told you the story about the bookstore gift card, but I didn't tell you what happened yesterday on my way into the testing center for my last final- Genetics. The class I actually liked this semester. And pretty much the only one. The student development class was useful, ochem lecture was pretty interesting, and the lab was cool when it wasn't frustrating. But I digress- on my way into the test I stopped by the vending machines for my good luck bag of goldfish (it's the cheapest thing in the machine, and come on- who doesn't like goldfish?) and they didn't have any! So I stood back to decide and there was a young looking guy who grabbed something out of the machine and then turned to me and said, "You know, I've got diner's plus and I'm not going to use all the money on my card before I leave town. You want something?" And then a light shone through the ceiling onto his head and showed me that he was an angel. And I said, "Sure!" So I got Sun Chips, Wheat Thins, and Pop Tarts! For free! It was awesome!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Ben, I'm so glad you're posting more! Now we need to get April posting as well! I'd love to hear her updates about the pregnancy! She said you guys are finding out the end of the month??? I'm super glad finals went well and are done for you. I bet you did great!
ReplyDelete