Hello everyone! We have arrived in Tennessee and are settling in. We had quite an adventure across the country with 10 month old Suvi in the backseat and me in the truck that had all our earthly possessions in the back. I have a few comments about the road trip.
First things first, without mothers we never would have made it here. My mom came up from San Diego and helped us load the truck and she was amazing! Nothing even fell over all the way across the country- and there were a few times that (due to road construction) I think I caught air in the truck. April's mom has been a consistent lifesaver from the first hour of the trip. Keeping Suvi entertained all the way across Nebraska, remembering things you need in a house (it turns out it's hard to move into a completely empty house when you're not emptying another one into it), and being generally awesome. I've learned that you never outgrow your mother. Thanks moms! You really are the best!
Wyoming is a terrible place to eat at restaurants, Nebraska despite being boring to drive through is charming and has great restaurants, and Missouri is where Carl's Jr. becomes Hardee's. Also, Hardee's is not as good as Carl's. I was sad to see that only half of their burgers come with lettuce, which as anyone who knows me will tell you is the hallmark of a good burger- way too much lettuce is a requirement in my book. We also took a few detours through Mexico, Canada, Columbia, Sidney, Versailles, Hamburg, London, two Lexingtons, two Syracuses, two Boonvilles (apparently Daniel Boon is big on the "western frontier" there were also Boontowns, Boonburgs, etc), Wentzville, and stayed the night in Mt. Vernon. It was quite a road trip, as many of those places aren't even on our continent! Also, I owe the great state of Utah a formal apology. I have long thought that Utah has the worst road construction situation in the country. Now I know that the place that deserves that dubious honor is actually St. Louis Missouri. I almost died twice through that one town. It's awful. And I called my friend Jennifer to tell her this and started with, "Utah isn't the worst place to drive in the country." Before I could say anything else she blurted out, "Because of St, Louis right?" Yes! In the mouth of 2 or 3 witnesses shall every word be established. (1 Cor 13:2) We also passed Stinking Creek. It's about 13 miles from where we live.
Suvi did really well on the trip, but adjusting to life outside of the car seat has been tough for her. Not as much attention being aimed in her direction. She is dealing well with the humidity though. Better than we are at least. Oh, and it hasn't stopped raining since we got here. Very green but I'm missing the sun. We did find bookshelves at big lots, we got 4 of them, I assembled all of them myself and I only put one of them together upside down. I feel good about that. We also have an actual back yard, and a front yard, complete with a hibiscus, a holly, wild strawberries, and 2 small garden locations. It's gorgeous. Our neighbors are all really friendly, but the ones that border our back yard don't have the best hygiene. I took a picture, so you'll see what I mean, they're really messy and there's just no talking to them. Oh well, I'll be spending most of my days up on campus studying anyway. Well, I think that's about it. We're here, we're excited and I'm actually starting med school in about a week and a half (I went up to campus to double check yesterday)! So everyone keep in touch! Call us, write emails, comment on the blog and on facebook, whatever. We miss everyone so much! Well, I need to go call someone about a used washer and dryer set, but here ar the pics I told you about:
That is so cool! We are glad you guys made it safely. I hope you enjoy setting up house again and good luck to Ben for his first days at Med school!
ReplyDelete